Narrative Writing

This week for Miss Tele’a writing groups we learned about revising what we know about narratives, revise character traits, and demonstrate a character analysis.

What is narrative writing? Narrative writing tells stories, and stories help us connect with others. They are written to entertain and to share experiences with a reader. Narratives can be written in many mediums, such as novels, short stories, poems, diaries, and even biographies.

First, we had to discuss in a group what narrative writing is. Narrative writing tells stories, and stories help us connect with others. They are written to entertain and to share experiences with a reader. Narratives can be written in many mediums, such as novels, short stories, poems, diaries, and even biographies. For example : A guy called Dwayne Johnston was telling stories to his friends called the heavens of god.

Next, Miss Tele’a explained a game that talks about narrative writing. The game was called the crossboss that revised your knowledge of the vocabulary and terms we use in Narrative Writing by playing. I won and completed all of the levels.

Then, we had to revise vocabulary and terms we use when crafting narrative stories. We also had to drag the vocabulary from the word bank to the definition it matches with. For example : A story that describes events, characters, and a plot matches with narrative. There were 3 of these vocabulary words.

Afterwards, we had to read the short narrative story “The Star Seekers” carefully and individually. In this short story it talks about 2 friends going out at night. Then when we finished reading the short story we had to highlight all the characters in blue, settings in orange, and adjectives in pink. For example : The characters were Adam and Eve, so you highlight Adam and Eve because they’re the characters in the story. Next we had to build strong characters. But we first started off by revising character traits and physical characteristics. We had to sort the traits by dragging them into the correct column. Physical traits can be seen just by looking at the character and for traits can be seen in who the character is on the inside. After we finished we had to pick 1 female character and 1 male character and delete the slides I am not using for my story. There was 4 character, 2 male and 2 female.

Lastly, we had to demonstrate a character analysis. I had to make a copy of the character Analysis template.  Choose a character from a narrative you have read or watched. We had to think of a name for the character, physical appearance, personality traits, motivations & goals, and relationships.

I enjoyed doing this task. I did well at thinking of a name for the character. I need to improve my thinking of a basic name for the other character.