Place Value Subtraction

This week for Miss White maths group we learned how to subtract by using place value.

What is place value? Place values are the numerical value of a digit. For example, the number 45 has 4 tens and 5 ones. We can also subtract three digit numbers by breaking the number into one, tens, and hundreds. We always have to remember to subtract from ones first.

An example: 547 – 213 = 334.

• 7 – 3 = 4
  • 40 – 10 = 30
  • 500 – 200 = 300
  • 4 + 30 + 300 = 334.

First, Miss White groups had to discuss what place value is. Place values are the numerical value of a digit. For example, the number 45 has 4 tens and 5 ones. We can also subtract three digit numbers by breaking the number into one, tens, and hundreds. We always have to remember to subtract from ones first.

Next, Miss White told us to grab a whiteboard maker and a whiteboard to draw a place value house. We learned how to do minus by using a place value house. Miss White gave us a solution to solve. The solution we had to solve was : 456 – 326. The problem was that when we start with the ones and you can’t take away 7 from the 6 because it doesn’t give us an answer. How to solve it : we have to solve it by borrowing one tens or hundreds and place it into the ones.

Lastly, we had to make a copy of a google slide that talks about place value and you have to solve the solution. We had to solve 16 by using minus to make it harder because we did addition last week and last term.

I enjoyed learning about place value. I did well at explanning what place value is. I need to improve on adding more details and telling others how I worked it out.

Here is my work :