Rippa Rugby – HPE

This week we learned how to play Rippa rugby. Rippa Rugby is a game for young rugby players, usually from the ages of 5 to 7. It is a very safe, non-contact, easy-to-play game for both boys and girls alike. For example : If you are 5 to 10 or older you will be allowed to play.

How to play : To complete a ‘rip’ one of the two flags from the ball carriers belt must be removed. The only person who can be ripped is the ball carrier.

First we had to get into colour teams. The colours were red & Yellow. Coach Trey taps the person on the shoulder and tells which colour you are. I got a touch on the shoulder and I was in the red team.

Next we played a warm up throw. I had to run up and throw the ball to the person next to me and then the next person throws it to the other person. We always dropped the ball but when we practised more and more we finally catched the ball without dropping it. For example  : Someone on my right will be next to me and when I run up the person on my right has to run up and catch the ball without dropping it.

Lastly we played a real game of Rippa rugby. I had to play against the yellows since I was in the red team. I had the ball and tried to make it to the end. I made it to the end and everyone started to get mad but Coach Trey said it was just a game.

I enjoyed playing Rippa Rugby. I did well at putting the ball on the floor at the end. I need to improve on not winning since it’s a game.